There’s an interesting little quirk to Magento.
In Magento, the Navigation menu does not display even when you’ve told the particularly categories to show. There’s a quick fix to the problem but it’s good to know before you create an extensive category system.
The problem is that the Navigation menu relies on a particular Root category and if you change the default category or create a new Root category the Navigation menu doesn’t recognize it without a little tweak. Here’s how you can fix it.
- From the Catalog Menu select Manage Categories
- Click Add Root Category
- Name your Root Category (root-SITENAME)
- On the General Information Tab ensure Is Active equals Yes
- On the General Information Tab ensure Include in Navigation Menu equals Yes
- Click Save Category
- With the new Root Category Selected click Add Subcategory
- Create the subcategory of the main category making sure it is Active and Included on the Nav Menu
- From the Main Menu Systems – Manage Stores
- Click the Main Website Store link
- From the Root Category drop-down choose the Root Category you created earlier (root-SITENAME)
- Click Save Store
Any new categories you create should appear on the Navigation Menu.
As a side note, remember when you create Products on the Inventory tab add a number to the Qty field and change Stock Availability to In Stock otherwise products will not display in their Categories.
I hope that was helpful to people struggling with this issue. If you need help with your eCommerce Magento site we can. See our Magento Page and give us a call.