01/05/2015 13:32:00.65  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x06CC)             0x0760  SharePoint Portal Server              User Profiles      d22b                High       Failure retrieving application ID for User Profile Application Proxy ‘User Profile Service Application Proxy’: Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException: UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException_Logging :: UserProfileApplicationProxy.ApplicationProperties ProfilePropertyCache does not have d4b21338-a0b4-40f2-9e07-1642409d1f34     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_AppID()           1fdcdc9c-a0a0-c0c4-5a6c-67586a3db558


The MOST IMPORTANT THING about SharePoint:

Open ULSViewer.  Find an entry that has a category of User Profiles.  Right-click and Quick Filter for Category=User Profiles

This will show you everything related to the User Profile Synchronization process.

We deleted and recreated our User Profiles Application Service (we destroyed our database because user my sites had no meaningful information.)

We changed the Application Pool account from NETWORK SERVICE  to our farm account.  We validated all the permissions as stated here: http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups2.aspx

The next fix was to go to Central Administration->Manage Service Applications.  Select User Profiles Application Service.  Click Permissions in the ribbon.  Add the service account.

For more information on how Acumen can help with our other software needs, contact us today!

Migrate SP

Migrate SP

After doing a migration upgrade of SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, search failed with:

Sorry, something went wrong.

A correlation id is provided.

We checked our Content Sources from Central Administration->Manage Services on Server->SharePointServer Search->Search Service Application->Content Sources and found that Full Crawls had completed successfully.

You will find a TON of log enties for that correlation id, so finding the root cause is daunting.  Buried in the results you will find a 500 Service Unavailable error connecting to the Metadata Management Service.

In the Search Service Application, we saw that in Queries and Results->Search Dictionaries, we had an error:

The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available.  The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started.

We verified that the IIS->Application Pool had all pools started.

We verified that Central Administration->Manage Services on Server->Managed Metadata Web Service was started.  (This service is generating the 500 Service Unavailable.)

We then found that when we select Central Administration->Manage Service Applications->Managed Metadata Service Application (your name may be slightly different) and click Properties from the ribbon, we saw the same error shown in Search:

The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available.  The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started.

Migrate SP Solution

There are a lot of suggestions for solving this, but we fixed ours when we:

In Central Administration->Manage Service Applications, we deleted the Managed Metadata Service Application Proxy and the Managed Metadata Service Application.  (Don’t delete the data when you do this or you will lose your SQL Server database.)

We then repeated our PowerShell actions from the migration/upgrade:

$applicationPool = Get-SPServiceApplicationPool -Identity ‘SharePoint Web Services default’

$mms = New-SPMetadataServiceApplication -Name ‘Managed Metadata Service Application’ -ApplicationPool $applicationPool -DatabaseName ‘Managed Metadata Service_Acumen’

New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy -Name ‘Managed Metadata Service Application Proxy’ -ServiceApplication $mms -DefaultProxyGroup

Change your Name and DatabaseName values.

Our first search test failed, but while we were watching the ULS Viewer, we saw lots of entries with the same correlation ids.  We tried search again after about 3 minutes and it worked.

For more information about how Acumen can help with your IT needs, contact us today!

SP 2010

SP 2010

This error can occur during an upgrade if the path in the Content Source doesn’t include file://

In the Content Source:

Delete the path and save.

Reenter Content Source, add path back and save.

Content will now search

For more information about how Acumen can help you with SharePoint 2010, contact us today!

For additional help, contact Microsoft Support:


Visual Stuido, or VS


A lot of people suggest editing the pubxml file.  Don’t do it.

A lot of people suggest adding pre-build instructions.  Don’t do it.

I recommend simply including the file in your project and setting the “Copy to Output Directory” property to “Copy always“.

If you need a folder, but don’t want the contents, create a readme.txt file and mark it as “Copy always” to force the directory to copy.

pubxml technique:


<Target Name=”CustomCollectFiles”>


<_CustomFiles Include=”$(MSBuildProjectDirectory)\bin\MySpecialFile.txt” />

<FilesForPackagingFromProject Include=”%(_CustomFiles.Identity)”>

















custom build technique:


For information about how Acumen can help with your IT needs, call us today!